Monthly Archives: July 2015

vRA Infrastructure tab 404 error

A 404 error when accessing the infrastructure tab can be cause by a number of things. Expired certs is the most common reason. I hit this issue earlier but i’m using valid CA certs. When i logged into the VAMI interface for vRA i noticed that the IaaS service was not registered. After the customary reboots the issue persisted so i had to did a little deeper. Here is what i saw in VAMI/Services.(Not using the embedded vCO so it is intentionally disabled)

VAMI Services

To get the IaaS service registered again i had to re register IaaS with vRA using the following commands on the IaaS server

 

  • cd c:\”Program Files (x86)”\VMware\vCAC\Server\”Model Manager Data”\Cafe

Reset VMware appliance root password

Use the following procedure to change the root password for a VMware appliance. This process uses single user mode so it allow you to change the root password if you have forgotten it!

Open the VM console and reboot the appliance

 

Select the line that starts with kernel and type e to edit the line

At the end of the line, press the spacebar and type init=/bin/sh

Press Enter to exit edit mode.

On the GRUB screen, type b to boot into single-user mode.
The virtual appliance boots in single-user mode.

To change the root user password, type passwd root and follow the on-screen prompts to enter a new password for the root user

To restart the virtual appliance, type reboot and press Enter.

When the virtual appliance restarts, you can log in using the new password.

vCloud Director Error: None of the cells have a vCenter proxy service running

Came across this issue in the lab today when trying to deploy a vApp template from the vCD catalog

vCD Proxy Error

 

Did some googling and came across a post by Jason Boche here that points to an issue with the QRTZ SQL tables (Who knew!). Thanks to Jason’s post i was able to run the script below to delete some rows from the tables. Once i restarted my vCD cells i was again able to deploy vApps. Script below (modified by jason to adhere to upper case table names). Be sure to stop all vCD cells and backup the SQL DB before executing. Change the DB name to whatever your DB is called

 

USE [vcloud]
GO
delete from QRTZ_SCHEDULER_STATE
delete from QRTZ_FIRED_TRIGGERS
delete from QRTZ_PAUSED_TRIGGER_GRPS
delete from QRTZ_CALENDARS
delete from QRTZ_TRIGGER_LISTENERS
delete from QRTZ_BLOB_TRIGGERS
delete from QRTZ_CRON_TRIGGERS
delete from QRTZ_SIMPLE_TRIGGERS
delete from QRTZ_TRIGGERS
delete from QRTZ_JOB_LISTENERS
delete from QRTZ_JOB_DETAILS
go

Not sure yet what caused this but the only event i know of was a vCenter restart 2 days ago. Will update this post if i find the root cause.